Sweater stretch

I’ve been on a knitting tear since the summer on Protection Island. I think I made four adult sweaters since April.  I started the Dublin Pullover in August. I knit it with Jamieson’s Shetland spindrift yarn, which turned out much softer than expected and will definitely use again. It took me about 5 months to knit and a week to sew in all the ends. Here’s one night’s waste yarn.

IMG_4860

I needed a wooly board to block it and found plans online. You can buy one for $150 or spend $8 on material and have fun in the process. Mine can block sweaters from 32″ to 48″. I will warn you however, dowels in the hardware store are WEAK! They snapped in seconds on my first attempt to stretch a sweater. I perused the hardware section (one of my pet pleasures) and found an alternative, a 1/4″ metal something or other.

IMG_2426IMG_2427IMG_2429

I initially hang the sweater in the boiler room, because there’s a drain in the floor,  then move to the wood stove where it dries in 1/2 a day. The stretcher doesn’t stand on its own but balances nicely.

This is the Dublin pullover.

IMG_0007IMG_0011

It fits Tim much better than me so he wins.

This vest had gradually gotten smaller and shorter. Now it fits again! I’m pretty sure it was the sweater shrinking, not me getting larger, although I’ve been a little lazy this winter.

IMG_0021IMG_0018

In contrast, this last sweater, knit in Lopi bulky yarn, took one week to knit! It was a little big so I purposely shrunk it but went a bit too small. The wooly board let me stretch it to a proper size. The neck remains a little wonky and I have to do something about that. Back to planning and looking for more sweaters to knit and stretch.

 

 

 

 

 

I’ll make it Spring

Today is the first day since December my driveway is free of snow! No sign of the hundreds of daffodils I planted last Fall so I made my own flowers.

20140410-162824.jpg
I

20140410-162834.jpg

I’ve gone off the deep end but promise never to make toilet paper roll covers with little dolls rising from them. Everyone had them in their house. Didn’t they? My roots show.

Ivy League Vest looks like a ship’s prow. I bought dowels to make my own wooly board but got away with my planter stand this time because there are no arms to contend with.

20140410-163119.jpg

20140410-163137.jpg
Nice to know I have the same dimensions as a planter stand.

Home stretch

The Ivy League Vest is almost done. Only a few more thousand ends to weave in. It looks great and it is still in the 20’s in the morning so I wore it with the ends waving in the breeze yesterday. It’s fitted and won’t give much room for, ahem, expansion so I want to block it right. A see a woodworking project coming up, unless this planter stand is the right diameter to stretch the sweater.

20140407-073405.jpg

I found these instructions from Knitting Beyond the Hebrides to make a simple wooly board from dowels.

So here is a truncated picture, to exclude my jammie’s and waddle neck, of my finished vest.

20140407-075438.jpg

I used spare time yesterday to begin a tea cozy. I’ve become a tea totaler and always have a towel draped over the teapot. Then I found this adorable pattern and have plans for knit vases and flowers to cover all my kitchen appliances.

This off the shoulder sweater is complete. Not for me but will look wonderful on the recipient.

20140407-075756.jpg