Basically everything. I’ve been on a knitting and felting kick lately. I finished the slippers for my daughter AND HER 13 FRIENDS! She wanted their crab logo on them and I tried all sorts of techniques to make crabs: cross stitch; felted appliqué; and knit. I used BigPhil, my bulky knitting machine to knit the clogs flat, sewed them together and felted them in the washer. Then I embellished them with various crabs.
Here’s the lot of them,
sized and matched with their mates and ready for the post office.
I tried a pair of mittens using a similar technique.
The thumb was a little wonky but they are nice and warm.
I finished the cat beds but sadly, my older cat, Loki, only used his briefly before he died just after Thanksgiving. His first diagnosis was wrong but obviously something was brewing.
Now we’re a one cat, one litter box, two cat bed household. Oh yes, there’s dear Tim too.
I have a few more slippers up my sleeve but have moved on to weaving. I finished twisting all the ends to my lovely overshot sampler shawl this morning.
She’s a beauty and will get lots of use this winter.
I found a lovely used warping reel online and measured a warp for a card weaving project. There were a couple of snags but it worked beautifully.
Then I got to real work. I am making my new grandson’s christening gown from a Handwoven pattern. 724 ends of fine 20/2 cotton. I was able to warp 3 threads at a time (I used a rigid heddle clamped to the table as a warping paddle) and it was a breeze. A few of those threads snapped while getting it on the loom but after a morning repairing broken threads I was off and weaving. I’m using fine silk as the weft and it is stunning.
I’ll sew a sample pattern first before I cut this beautiful fabric.
The clutter of my workroom is an insight into my scrambled mind. I’ve started a quilt; am in the process of weaving bands for more slippers; making more slippers; considering a few sewing projects…
I have almost made it 12 months without buying any clothes for me and it was a lot easier than I thought. I made 5 camisoles from alpaca, merino, silk fibers and they fit, are comfortable and make a great first layer. I also made a pair of shorts, and some socks.
My earth oven has been shelved until the spring. I spent a day last weekend building the form with sand then covering it with mud. It looked great but I made the cardinal mistake of not sampling the clay enough. When I shoveled out the 3 wheelbarrowfulls of sand and lit a fire within, the roof collapsed as the too-wet clay mixture defrosted.
Lessons learned. Now I have to decide if I will try to patch it or just start again in the spring. I think the second time will be a charm.